The jury in the trial of two boys accused of the murder of schoolgirl Ana Kriégel heard admissions from lawyers for both accused boys before being told the prosecution case was at an end.

Senior Counsel Patrick Gageby, for Boy A, and Senior Counsel Damien Colgan, for Boy B, made mainly "technical" admissions, relating to the preservation of the crime scene, the security of exhibits, the obtaining of phone records, the arrest and detention of the boys and the taking of swabs for DNA analysis. 

Both defence lawyers said it was admitted the crime scene had been properly designated and preserved, they said all exhibits had been kept secure and there were no issues in relation to the chain of custody of exhibits.

They admitted phone records had been lawfully obtained from service providers and there was no issue with the arrests, detentions or the extensions of the detentions of their clients.

In Boy A's case, Mr Gageby said it was admitted that in a school project questionnaire, Boy A listed "abandoned places" in answer to a question as to where he liked to hang out. 

Mr Justice Paul McDermott said these admissions helped to shorten the trial.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

The final witness was exhibits officer Garda Rory Scanlan who gave evidence of a page from a sketch book belonging to Boy A in which there were instructions from an art class in relation to making a mask.

He also agreed neither of the two accused boys or their families had ever come to adverse garda attention before. 

Prosecution counsel, Brendan Grehan, told the court that was the end of the prosecution case.

Mr Gageby said he would not be calling evidence on behalf of Boy A.

Mr Colgan, for Boy B, said there was an issue that needed to be resolved in the absence of the jury.

The jury has been asked to return to court on Thursday morning to deal with the "next phase" of the case.