Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly has said that his Covid-19 test has come back negative.

Mr Donnelly had said earlier today that he felt unwell and contacted his GP to arrange a coronavirus test.

The entire Cabinet, as well as Acting Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn, had to restrict their movements as a precaution following the news.

The action was taken on foot of guidance from Dr Glynn, given ministers were working closely together.

However, ministers no longer need to restrict their movements given the negative test result this evening.

Meanwhile, Minister of State for European Affairs Thomas Byrne has gone into self-isolation.

He was tested for Covid-19 today after waking with a "mild cough" yesterday.

After an earlier adjournment of the Dáil for one week, Taoiseach Micheál Martin confirmed that the Dáil would reconvene this evening.

The Dail resumed at 8pm after being suspended for nearly three hours. The Dail's business committee was to meet at 9pm to decide on tomorrow's proceedings and whether they should go ahead in Leinster House or in the Convention Centre.

Speaking on RTÉ's Six One this evening, the Taoiseach said Mr Donnelly felt unwell, had symptoms and had gone to be tested.

He said all Government ministers have been advised to restrict their movements pending the outcome of that test.

He said they had to be cautious as there were a number of meetings Mr Donnelly attended last night in relation to Covid-19, and he briefed the entire Cabinet.

He said "in an abundance of caution", it was necessary to inform the Dáil of that, and the Chief Whip informed the Ceann Comhairle who suspended the Dáil.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

Mr Martin said Government ministers can carry out their duties in a restricted scenario in terms of online meetings or by phone, but he said he will be working at his desk.

Mr Donnelly took part in a press conference this morning announcing the latest Covid-19 plan to deal with the next six months.

The Ceann Comhairle told the Dáil at 5.15pm this evening that after "very serious information arising out of events today the Cabinet must now self-isolate".

Therefore, he said the possibility of proceeding with business does not arise and the house stands adjourned until Tuesday next, or until "I am directed by the Taoiseach to reconvene".

The Dáil was adjourned until further notice, but has since returned with junior ministers stepping in to take questions.

Minister for Climate Action, Communication Networks and Transport, Eamon Ryan, had already been restricting his movements, as a member of his household was awaiting a test for Covid-19.

When told by presenter Philip Boucher-Hayes on RTÉ's Drivetime about the Cabinet being told to self-isolate as the news was breaking, Minister for Justice Helen McEntee said "that's the first I'm hearing of this".

Minister McEntee said: "I'm afraid that's the first I'm hearing of this, my last information to date was that Minister Donnelly had been informed he was to take a test and that I, as a colleague of his, had no further actions to take.

"So I'm afraid that this is news to me."

Fianna Fáil TD Jim O'Callaghan earlier said the suspension of the Dáil for one week because of concern about one Cabinet minister was not a proportionate response.

In a tweet, he wrote that Minister Donnelly and his close contacts should be tested, and junior ministers should deal with Government business.

"Governance of the country can't come to a standstill because of 1 suspected outbreak," he added.