Gardaí investigating an ongoing feud between two drug gangs in Ballymun are searching for a gun that was fired by a child in the area.
The series of events which led to the shooting began around 3pm on Tuesday when a man armed with a handgun was seen near Ballymun Garda Station, where a second man was being detained.
Both are suspected of being involved in the feud.
Gardaí approached the man with the firearm, but he ran away and was pursued.
He threw the gun into bushes as he made his escape, but it was subsequently picked up and fired by a child, believed to be around 11 years old.
No one was injured in the shooting.
A short time later two men arrived on an electric bike and took the gun away.
The weapon has still not been recovered in spite of intensive searches by gardaí and armed units.
Gardaí subsequently arrested two males, a man in his 20s and a teenager, in connection with the incident.
They were detained under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act.
The man in his 20s is still being questioned in connection with the incident.
The teenager has been released without charge pending a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions.
RTÉ's Crime correspondent Paul Reynolds has the latest on the investigation
We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences
'Extraordinarily alarming'
Tánaiste and Minister for Finance Simon Harris has described what happened in Ballymun as a "deeply concerning and harrowing" situation for that community.
Speaking on RTÉ's Drivetime, he said it was "not the norm" in this country, that an 11-year-old child could find themselves with a gun.
"To hear that a child discovered and discharged a gun is something that is extraordinarily alarming," he said, adding that it was a loss of childhood and of innocence and a trauma for that community.
Amidst calls for a more visible garda presence, Mr Harris said the government was committed to increasing the number of gardaí and he said the garda college in Templemore was back at full capacity.
Asked if the Minister for Justice Jim O'Callaghan would visit the area, the Tánaiste said the Government would be seeking ways in which to engage with the community in Ballymun, to reassure the community and to listen to people there.
He added that the garda investigation must also be allowed to take its course.
Mr O'Callaghan said he has been briefed by gardaí about the circumstances of the incident.
"My thoughts are with the child and their family at this time.
"I am aware that individuals have been arrested in relation to the incident, therefore I will not be making any further comment about this ongoing criminal investigation," a statement from the minister said.
Mr O'Callaghan also urged anyone with information about the incident to contact Ballymun Garda Station.
The feud between two street gangs in Ballymun over control of the drugs trade has been ongoing for more than a year and has led to several serious violent incidents, including the death of one man, which gardaí are treating as murder.
Kevin Kelly, who was in his 20s, was killed by a car on Balbutcher Lane in the early hours of 28 June last year.
Gardaí believe he was deliberately knocked down as part of the feud.
It is one of a number of feuds in the area which gardaí in Ballymun are currently investigating, including a feud among members of the Travelling community which has led to more than 20 violent attacks, including serious assaults and arson attacks.
Local representatives and community groups are calling for the new high visibility policing strategy to be introduced in Ballymun.
Fianna Fáil TD for Dublin North-West Paul McAuliffe said gangland crime has been "terrorising the decent and extraordinary community of Ballymun".
Mr McAuliffe said it is incredibly worrisome that two children were impacted in this case.
"The latest development is an example of how easily innocent people can get caught in the crosshairs of carelessness by gangs," he said.
The Fianna Fáil TD the number of gardaí stationed in Ballymun needs to be significantly increased.
'Symptomatic of something deeper' - Children's Rights Alliance
Children's Rights Alliance has called for a "national reponse" from Government.
CEO Tanya Ward told RTÉ's Drivetime that she hoped the people of Ballymun get the support that they need to break the cycle of poverty and criminality that exists within the community.
"People are terrified when this happens and it has a very negative effect on the local community,'' she said.
"I think it is symptomatic of something deeper where organised criminal gangs have been exploiting the local people."
Ms Ward said that children should be able to play in safety and security and the incident has highlighted that "some children in the country aren't safe to play outside".
Children's Rights Alliance said efforts need to be focused on disrupting the network of people that are causing this violence and who are terrorising the local community in Ballymun.
"Supporting parents, putting funds into youth workers and having gardai work with the local community and disrupt the criminal networks" are some solutions, according to Ms Ward.
She added that she hoped the incident would be a "wake up call" for the country to break the cycle of drugs and poverty.
"Hearing that a child picked up a semi-automatic weapon, that's a first for Ireland. I haven't come across something like that and it's pretty terrifying, the level of violence that is taking place," Ms Ward said.