A 54-year-old man has appeared in court charged in connection with a knife attack in Cork in which a number of people were wounded.

Thomas O'Sullivan, Silvercourt, Silversprings, in Cork City appeared before a special sitting of Cork District Court.

He is charged with assault causing harm to two women and a young boy at an address on the Middle Glanmire Road, in Montenotte, in Cork City on 23 December.

One of the women remains in a critical condition in hospital.

Det Garda Denis Crowley of Mayfield Garda Station gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution of Mr O'Sullivan at the garda station earlier this evening.

Inspector Sean McCarthy told Judge Mary Dorgan that the State's application would be to remand Mr O'Sullivan in custody.

Solicitor Frank Buttimer said his application would be for bail, but Inspector McCarthy objected to this on a number of grounds, including the seriousness of the charges, the possibility of a flight risk, and the risk of witnesses being intimidated.

Judge Dorgan refused the bail application and remanded Mr O'Sullivan in custody to appear again before the district court on Friday 27 December.

She also granted an application for free legal aid, given that Mr O'Sullivan is in receipt of invalidity benefit.

The judge also made an order preventing identification of the injured parties on foot of a garda application that the youngest victim was only ten years old.