Garda Superintendents have rejected criticisms of border policing by the Minister of State, Michael D'Arcy, as ill-informed and unhelpful.
The Association of Garda Superintendents has defended its members and says the issues surrounding border policing relate to the downgrading of border stations and the amalgamation of districts six years ago along with a reduction in the number of gardaí.
However, Superintendent Noel Cunningham said his members are satisfied that the current investigation is well resourced and supported and welcome the additional resources for border policing.
He also said that gardaí removed threatening and offensive signs relation to QIH executives as soon as they became aware of them and will continue to do so.
The Association is calling for a dedicated unit of the Criminal Assets Bureau specifically to deal with border crime.
Earlier, the President of the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors has said criticism of the garda investigation into attacks on Quinn Industrial Holdings directors by Minister of State D'Arcy yesterday was unhelpful.
Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Cormac Moylan said the commitment of AGSI members could not be questioned, and that such comments in the middle of a live and complex investigation were unhelpful.
He said the AGSI has been on the record as querying the lack of resources in the border region, but welcomed the addition of additional resources such as a new armed support unit and 25 new recruits in Cavan-Monaghan.
Yesterday, Minister of State with responsibility for financial services Michael D'Arcy said senior gardaí in the border region had "let down" the directors of the company.
We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences
Mr D'Arcy said the executives were "disappointed" that they had been left on their own to deal with a long-running and escalating campaign of intimidation.
Mr Moylan said AGSI members were fully committed to the investigation and called on the minister to clarify his comments.
"We can affirm the commitment of our members, the members that we represent that are in that area, are absolutely committed to a successful outcome of this investigation.
"This is an ongoing investigation, the searches and everything else that took place - they didn't happen overnight they've been a long time in the offing.
"We would say that what we've heard from our members they are absolutely committed to a successful conclusion."
Mr Moylan said he did not want to comment on an ongoing operation, but said he wanted to reaffirm the commitment of sergeants and inspectors in the area to a successful outcome.
Mr Moylan said the issue of offensive posters not being taken down sooner was a matter for senior garda management to direct.
He said the death of suspect Cyril McGuinness on Friday did not mean the end of the investigation, and said cross-border initiatives and cooperation between the gardaí and the PSNI was welcome.
He said we were in the infancy of the investigation, and that there was a long way to go.
Meanwhile, President of the Garda Representative Association Jim Mulligan also called for Mr D'Arcy to apologise for his comments.
Mr Mulligan said the comments "are not just chronically ill-informed; they are shockingly elitist. It's like blaming bank clerks for the bank crash".
The GRA's representative for the Cavan-Monaghan division has said the comments by Mr D'Arcy were an "insult" and called on him to apologise.
Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Miriam O'Callaghan, James Morris-Rowe said Mr D'Arcy needed to apologise and clarify his comments yesterday. He said his colleagues felt let down by Mr D'Arcy's comments.
"I'd simply call on the minister to apologise to the frontline members he alluded to on the ground, and maybe to publicly clarify his comments. I think his comments were ill-informed and maybe made without an understanding about the issues that we are dealing with," he said.
'Overriding risk' campaign of intimidation is not over - McCartin
QIH Director John McCartin has said directors at the company should not become complacent, saying there is an "overriding risk" that the sustained campaign of intimidation against them is not over.
Also speaking on RTÉ's Today with Miriam O'Callaghan, Mr McCartin said they could not presume that just because they are taking precautions that they were now invulnerable.
Mr McCartin also said attacks on executives have been going on for a number of years and had been allowed to happen unchallenged, which he said left feeling frustrated for a long period of time.
He said he did not feel previous threats against directors of the company were taken seriously enough by gardaí or by themselves.
He said he had absolute confidence in the gardaí and the PSNI in their investigation into the attack, and in their efforts towards the safety of the company's directors following the attack on Mr Lunney.
"We have confidence that the gardaí are doing absolutely everything that they can in this investigation. We know that its wide ranging we know that its deep we know that its very well resourced and we see that on both sides of the border and we are also thankful for the efforts they are making for our own personal safety as well," he said.