SIPTU health service support staff have deferred their strike planned for next Tuesday to allow for further negotiations on Monday.

However it warned that if a resolution is not found, then strike action by 10,000 health support staff on Wednesday will proceed.

The talks between the union and health service management which commenced at 2.30pm at the Workplace Relations Commission, adjourned shortly before 9pm.

Leaving the WRC, SIPTU health division organiser Paul Bell said they had managed to discuss all relevant issues with the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform (which oversees public service pay), and that some progress had been made.

He said that in order for discussions to continue, SIPTU had acceded to a request from the WRC to defer Tuesday's strike.

Department of Public Expenditure and Reform officials would only say that they were still in process.

This dispute centres on pay rises of up to €3,000 a year due to thousands of health support staff under a job evaluation scheme.

SIPTU says payment is now overdue, but health management wants further consultation about how, when and whether increases are actually paid.

Earlier, speaking on Newstalk radio, Minster for Finance Paschal Donohoe said he will not agree to anything that could cause the Public Service Stability Agreement to unravel. 

He added that if the money were there and easily available, they would not be where they are at the moment.