Health Minister Simon Harris is to apologise to the Dáil this week over information he provided on the cost of the new National Children's Hospital.

The Minister was criticised by Fianna Fáil after an answer he gave to a parliamentary question failed to indicate that costs were escalating.

Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin last week called on Mr Harris to apologise and correct the record of the Dáil in relation to the information he provided. 

On Sunday, Mr Harris's spokeswoman told RTÉ's This Week programme: "While the minister couldn't provide figures during commercially sensitive negotiations and because the figures were not known, he has said he wishes he had inserted some initial information - specifically reference the fact that there was a process underway to finalise pricing for Phase B (of the Children's Hospital)."

The spokeswoman added that "whilst the parliamentary question was factually correct, Minister Harris will be happy to apologise for not providing such context".

It comes after it emerged that the final cost of the hospital project could exceed €2 billion.

The controversy over the rising costs of the project lead to the chairman of the Hospital's development board to step down.

Tom Costello was appointed to the role in 2013 and has been replaced by Fred Barry, who is a former chief executive of the National Roads Authority.

A review into the project overruns is now being conducted by PwC.

Tom Costello, former chairman of the Children's Hospital development board

Despite the growing political controversy over the rising costs of the development, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said on Friday that he had ‘absolute confidence’ in Minister Harris.

Meanwhile, Fianna Fáil's health spokesperson has called on Mr Harris to go further than just apologising over the information he provided about the cost of the hospital.

Stephen Donnelly has accused Mr Harris of misleading the Dáil "in a meaningful and substantive way".

Mr Donnelly said "if we had known last September that the costs were getting out of control, we could've pushed for cost reductions".

He said as far as Fianna Fáil is concerned, the minister "misled the Dáil."

"We want him to accept that and come into the Dáil and correct the record."

Mr Donnelly also accsued Sinn Féin of "posturing" by proposing to table a motion of no-confidence in the Minister for Health.

Separately, the Minister for European Affairs has insisted Simon Harris did not mislead the Dáil.

Speaking on RTÉ's This Week, Helen McEntee said she does not believe Minister Harris has "done anything wrong in the manner that he has approached the project".

Speaking on RTÉ's The Week in Politics, Fianna Fáil TD Billy Kelleher said a "sorry" from Simon Harris is not the issue.

He said it is about finding out what happened, why the Dáil was misled and why the budget arithmetic was not correct and why his party were not told in the context of the confidence and supply discussions. 

Minister of State Michael D'Arcy told the programme that Simon Harris did not mislead anyone and budget negotiations were about current expenditure while the capital problem was dealt with on a multi-annual basis. 

Sinn Féin's Johnathan O’Brien said there was an appetite for accountability and removing a minister would not bring down the Government.  

He accused Minister Harris of being incompetent, adding that the Government could ‘trundle along’ unless Fianna Fáil ‘stepped up to the plate’. 

A group of people protested outside Mr Harris' home for about an hour this afternoon.

Gardaí were alerted to the protest by neighbours and attended the scene.

There were around 15 anti-austerity protesters, some from Wicklow, more from an anti-austerity group based in Dublin.

The Minister was at home at the time with his wife and baby.

The protesters held banners with the hashtag 'bring it to their doors' and urged others to hold similar protests.

A spokeswoman for Mr Harris said: "The incident has now concluded. The Minister would like to thank An Garda Síochána for their assistance and in ensuring his wife and daughter's safety. He has no further comment to make at this time."