Independent TD Denis Naughten has maintained he did not attempt to interfere in the national broadband bidding process.
The former minister for communications, climate action and environment told RTÉ’s News at One that he only held meetings with the sole bidder "to keep them at the table".
Deputy Naughten said he did not interfere "good, bad or indifferent" in the process and eight of his ten meetings with David McCourt occurred after Granahan McCourt had become the sole bidder.
He said his sole objective was to deliver high-speed broadband and to keep the bidder at the table.
He said there were records of 39 of the 40 meetings he held with a range of bidders, be it in minutes or briefings he later conducted.
On Tuesday a review of the procurement process which found that it was not influenced by Mr Naughten or businessman David McCourt was published.
Deputy Naughten said that a number of other bidders including Eir, Vodafone and Siro-ESB had already walked away from the process and he desperately wanted to ensure broadband was secured for the 1.2 million people who need it.
He repeated that his only priority was to see we did get a viable bid from the only remaining bidder.