The High Court has granted an injunction against subcontractors who have picketed school building sites at Wexford and Bray in protest at the non-payment of money owed to them.

The consortium in charge of building the state schools, Inspiredspaces, was granted a temporary injunction, which prevents the subcontractors from blockading the sites.

The collapsed UK company, Carillion, was a 50% shareholder in Inspiredspaces. The remaining partner is a Dutch company called the Dutch Infrastructure Fund.

Irish company, Sammon, had been subcontracted by Carillion to carry out the building work on its behalf. But Sammon went into liquidation last month.

Subcontractors mounted pickets at three schools sites on Monday; at the site of the new Loreto Secondary school in Wexford, and at the Ravenswell primary school and Coláiste Ráithín sites in Bray in Co Wicklow.

They are protesting over payments owed to them for work carried out at the schools, and for equipment they have installed.

The schools are scheduled to open on 27 August, but their opening depends on work on the schools being completed by a new company, Woodvale, that was appointed by Inspiredspaces to replace Sammon.

The High Court heard that the blockade put the completion date at risk because the subcontractors intended to maintain their protests until they get paid.

The other schools being constructed under the Inspiredspaces Public Private Partnership with the state are Eureka Secondary School in Kells, Co Meath; Tyndall College in Carlow; and Carlow College of Further Education.

Yesterday subcontractors used angle grinders to remove railings, and attempted to remove furniture, from Tyndall College, saying that they wished to remove goods they had supplied but had not been paid for.

Counsel said that while there was no blockade at the Meath and Carlow sites there was a concern after yesterday's events in Carlow.

Counsel for Inspiredspaces told the court that while his client had sympathy for the subcontractors it did not owe them any money. It said it had paid Carillion for the work done, and that Carillion had in turn paid those funds to Sammon.

The application came before Ms Justice Caroline Costello who granted an interim injunction preventing the defendants and others from blocking, interfering or impeding access from and construction works at the schools.

The defendants are also restrained from trespassing at the schools or from removing any items from the schools, except with the consent of Inspired Spaces.

The Judge said she was satisfied to grant the orders on grounds including that there appeared to be no valid trade dispute between the parties, and that the blockade appeared to be unlawful.

Subcontractors protesting at Loreto Secondary School in Wexford have told RTÉ News that they will remain at the site.

In a statement the Dutch Infrastructure Fund (DIV), which is the remaining partner in Inspiredspaces following the collapse of Carillion, said the blockades had prevented Woodvale staff from accessing the site to continue works.

It said it believed that parties had illegally entered the Carlow site yesterday with a view to removing goods.

It said Inspiredspaces had no information on the detailed contractual and payment arrangements between Sammon and its subcontractors. It said this was a matter for the Sammon liquidator.

DIF said Inspiredspaces was investing "unforeseen additional capital" to accelerate works in order to enable the schools to open for the coming academic year.

It said the subcontractors' blockades and trespasses had been "extremely disruptive to the whole process where all efforts are focused on completing the three schools.

The DIF statement ended by asking the subcontractors to consider the impact that their actions were having on the timely opening of the schools "and the wider impact that their actions are having on their local communities".