A Belgian judge has sentenced Salah Abdeslam, the prime surviving suspect in the 2015 attacks on Paris, to 20 years in prison over a shootout with police in Brussels in 2016.

Judge Marie-France Keutgen told the courtroom that 28-year-old Abdeslam and Tunisian Sofien Ayari, 24, had been found guilty of "attempted terrorist murder" during the shootout in March 2016.

Abdeslam is in a French prison awaiting trial for his role in the attacks claimed by the so-called Islamic State in Paris in November 2015 in which 130 people were killed.

Prosecutors say Abdeslam is the lone survivor of a suicide squad and his own lawyers do not dispute he was in Paris during the attacks.

Neither he nor Ayari, who is in custody in Belgium, was present for the judgment.

Despite the absence of both accused, security was tight around the Brussels court, with heavily armed police on guard.

Read more
Who were the Paris attackers?

By the time of the shootout in the Brussels district of Forest on 15 March 2016, Abdeslam had been in hiding for four months after fleeing Paris the night his elder brother blew himself up at a cafe.

Prosecutors accuse Abdeslam of helping organise the attacks and ferry former fighters from Syria around Europe. They say he, too, would have died if his suicide vest had not failed to detonate.

Belgian police finally stumbled across him when, with French officers, they went to inspect a suspect apartment in Forest and then came under a hail of gunfire that wounded four of them.

A three-hour siege ended with marksmen killing a 35-year-old Algerian called Mohamed Belkaid and police finding an arms cache.

Abdeslam's DNA found at the scene linked him to the shootout and that led to his arrest three days later in a different apartment in Brussels.

Four days after his arrest, suicide bombers attacked Brussels Airport and the city's metro, killing 32 people.

Officials believe Abdeslam had links with the bombers and that they brought forward their attack because they feared Abdeslam might reveal their plans under interrogation.

Abdeslam was present on the opening day of the trial, but refused to answer the judge's questions.

His lawyer Sven Mary told reporters this morning that he will discuss the case with his client before determining whether to appeal.