Israel has announced a land appropriation in the occupied West Bank that an anti-settlement group termed the biggest in 30 years.
The announcement has been condemned by Palestinians and drawn a rebuke from the US.
The US urged Israel to reverse its latest plan to seize 988 acres in the Bethlehem area of the occupied West Bank.
"This announcement, like every other settlement announcement Israel makes, planning step they approve, and construction tender they issue, is counterproductive to Israel's stated goal of a negotiated two-state solution with the Palestinians," a State Department official said.
"We urge the government of Israel to reverse this decision."
The land in the Etzion Jewish settlement bloc near Bethlehem were declared "state land, on the instructions of the political echelon" by the military-run Civil Administration.
"We urge the government of Israel to reverse this decision," a US State Department official said, calling the move "counterproductive" to efforts to achieve a two-state solution between Israel and the Palestinians.
Israel Radio said the step was taken in response to the kidnapping and killing of three Jewish teens by Hamas militants in the area in June.
Tensions stoked by the incident quickly spread to Israel's border with Gaza, which is controlled by Hamas, and the two sides engaged in a seven-week war that ended last Tuesday with an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire.
The notice published yesterday by the Israeli military gave no reason for the land appropriation decision.
Peace Now, which opposes Israeli settlement activities in the West Bank said the appropriation was meant to turn a site where ten families now live adjacent to a Jewish seminary into a permanent settlement.
Construction of a major settlement at the location, known as "Gevaot", has been mooted by Israel since 2000.
Last year, the government invited bids for the building of 1,000 housing units at the site.
Peace Now said the land seizure was the largest announced by Israel in the West Bank since the 1980s and that anyone with ownership claims had 45 days to appeal.
A local Palestinian mayor said Palestinians owned the tracts and harvested olive trees on them.
Israel has come under intense international criticism over its settlement activities, which most countries regard as illegal under international law and a major obstacle to the creation of a viable Palestinian state in any future peace deal.
Nabil Abu Rdainah, a spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, called on Israel to cancel the appropriation.
"This decision will lead to more instability. This will only inflame the situation after the war in Gaza," Mr Abu Rdainah said.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu broke off US-brokered peace talks with Mr Abbas in April after the Palestinian leader reached a reconciliation deal with Hamas.
In a series of remarks after an open-ended ceasefire halted the Gaza war, Mr Netanyahu repeated his position that Mr Abbas would have to sever his alliance with Hamas for a peace process with Israel to resume.
The administration of President Barack Obama, who has been at odds with Mr Netanyahu over settlements since taking office in 2009, pushed back against the land decision.
It was the latest point of contention between Washington and Israel, which also differ over Iran nuclear talks.
"We have long made clear our opposition to continued settlement activity," said the State Department official, who declined to be identified.
"This announcement, like every other settlement announcement Israel makes, planning step they approve and construction tender they issue, is counterproductive to Israel's stated goal of a negotiated two-state solution with the Palestinians," the official said.
After the collapse of the last round of US-brokered peace talks, US officials cited settlement construction as one of the main reasons for the breakdown, while also faulting the Palestinians for signing a series of international treaties and conventions.
Israel has said construction at Gevaot would not constitute the establishment of a new settlement because the site is officially designated a neighbourhood of an existing one, Alon Shvut, several kilometres down the road.
Around 500,000 Israelis live among 2.4 million Palestinians in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.