The Halawa sisters from Dublin who were detained following unrest in Egypt earlier this year have arrived home at Dublin Airport this morning. 

Irish citizens Somaia, Fatima and Omaima Halawa were taken into custody in August following a protest in Cairo but were freed a fortnight ago. 

Shortly before 10am, their Turkish Airways flight from Istanbul touched down in Dublin Airport where their father and sister waited to greet them.

28-year-old Somaia, 22-year-old Fatima and 21-year-old Omaima, along with their 17-year-old brother, Ibrahim were all detained following clashes in Cairo between security forces and supporters of ousted president Mohammed Morsi.

Ibrahim remains in prison in the Egyptian capital.

The Halawa family have no indication so far when he might be released.
Some of the 40 supporters waiting to greet them carried posters and banners opposing the ousting of former Egyptian president Mohammed Mursi. 

Meanwhile, in Egypt, Supporters of deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Mursi took to the streets of Alexandria to protest against harsh prison sentences given to a group of female demonstrators.

The protesters clashed with police and hurled stones. At least one demonstrator was injured and was carried away from the protest by supporters

A court in the Egyptian coastal city sentenced 14 female supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood to 11 years and one month in prison on charges of inciting violence and damaging public property.

Seven other women, all under the age of 18, are set to serve sentences in juvenile detention.

The court did not set the amount of time they will serve in the facility.

The charges relate to an October protest in Alexandria, where the women marched in the street under a movement calling for protesters to take to the streets in the morning before schools opened.

The 14 women seemed cheerful and in high spirits ahead of the jail sentence being announced on Wednesday, all dressed in white and smiling.

Earlier this week, Egypt's interim President Adly Mansour also passed a law making it illegal to hold demonstrations without the approval of the police.

It also banned protests in places of worship, a move rights groups condemned as a blow to political freedom.