A 29-year-old man has been sentenced to life in prison for the murder of Ian Tobin in Blanchardstown in Dublin almost six years ago.

Mr Tobin, 25, was shot through a door at a house in Fortlawn Park.

It is believed his brother was the intended target.

The jury found that Bryan Ryan, originally from Blanchardstown but now living at Ard Caher, Louisburgh in Co Mayo, drove the gunman to the killing.

It is the second time he has been convicted of the murder as the original guilty verdict was considered unsafe on appeal.

Mr Tobin died after he was shot in the neck at 5.15am on 27 May 2007.

He was not involved in criminality, and was described as hardworking.

He had a partner and two children and was due to be married three months later.

His brother Blake had been the intended target.

Ryan did not fire the fatal shots but drove the gunman to the killing on a motorbike.

He told another person before the murder that Blake Tobin was going to be killed by his girlfriend's father Michael Murray, who has since been shot dead.

He subsequently admitted his involvement but told gardaí he did not know there was any gun and believed the gunman was only going to "frighten" the target.

However, during the trial he took the stand and claimed that he only made that admission because he had been "bullied in to making a false confession" by detectives.

A protected witness, Kevin Whelan, gave evidence of motive.

He said that there was a fistfight between Ryan and Blake Tobin, and that Mr Murray tried to stab Blake Tobin, who chased him away with a golf club.

Mr Whelan also told the court he received a call from Ryan saying Blake Tobin was "getting it".

After deliberating for six hours and 27 minutes the jury found Ryan guilty of murder by a majority verdict.

The case was a retrial because the original guilty verdict was set aside at the appeal court as the previous judge failed to properly warn the jury about evidence given by a witness in the case who is in the Witness Protection Programme.