The Government is sending an ambassador to Mauritius to make an official complaint after photographs of Michaela McAreavey's body were published in a Sunday newspaper there.

A press spokesman for the Mauritian police told RTÉ News that the offices of the Sunday Times in Port Louis were raided by police officers this morning.

Der Maragen said the raid was carried out to trace the photographs of Mrs McAreavey's body published yesterday, but no photographs were found.

Mr Maragen said no one has been questioned by police about the photographs and no one has been arrested.

He added that they are continuing to gather information about the use of the crime scene photographs.

Earlier today, the McAreavey family lawyer in Mauritius called for the arrest of whoever is responsible for the leaking of the crime scene photos to the newspaper.

Dick Ng Sui Wa said the publication of the pictures, which included images of Mrs McAreavey's body, could hinder any future police inquiry into the killing.

He said that it would give possible suspects a glimpse of the crime scene.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Mr Ng Sui Wa asked the Commission of Police in Mauritius to hold a full inquiry into the issue.

The lawyer said there was revolt and outrage among the public in Mauritius over the publication just like in Ireland.

He said the newspaper involved is a new publication first published a few months ago.

On the issue of a new investigation into the murder, Mr Ng Sui Wa said police were likely to seek external independent advice from England and France on how to solve the crime.

But he said, having studied the case closely himself, he believes it would be difficult to pin down another person for the crime.

The lawyer pointed out that the two men acquitted cannot be tried for a second time.

Among the images published was a front page photograph of Mrs McAreavey after she had been strangled while on honeymoon with her husband John.

The publication has been condemned by her relatives in Ireland and by Taoiseach Enda Kenny.

Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs Eamon Gilmore met Irish Ambassador to Mauritius Brendan McMahon in Dublin today.

The Tánaiste said the ambassador will convey in person to the Foreign Minister of Mauritius a strongly driven message about the upset of the Government over what has happened.

Mr Gilmore said it will be a formal government to government protest and will be expressed in the strongest terms.

Mr McMahon will also ask about what steps the Mauritian authorities will take to investigate the murder.

Mr Gilmore said he was shocked at the publication of the photos, which he said he has not seen and does not desire to see.

He labelled the publication disgraceful, and said that he believed what happened to Mrs McAreavey will have considerable consequences for the tourist industry in Mauritius.

It has been reported tonight that the government of Mauritius has strongly condemned the publication of the images.

A Mauritian news website quotes from a government press communiqué in which the publication of the images is described as a "reckless infliction of further hardship on the bereaved families."

Mr Gilmore said he has spoken to Mr McAreavey about the Government's protest and that Mr McAreavey is satisfied with its action.

Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness will travel to London this week to meet the Mauritian Ambassador.