A former Christian Brother who sexually abused three teenage students at a school for the deaf has been jailed for nine years.

Each of John McCabe's victims, who attended St Joseph's National School in Cabra in the 1980s, waived their right to anonymity so that their abuser could be named in the media. 

McCabe, 53, of Kilshane Cross, North Road, Finglas, is now a married man with a nine-year-old child. He was 24 years old when he abused the boys who were then aged between 13 and 14.

McCabe pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to six counts of indecent assault of the boys on dates between 1 May 1983 and 31 July 1984. He has no previous convictions.

The evidence was interpreted to the three men, now in their 40s, through a sign language interpreter which they organised themselves.

Judge Martin Nolan described the evidence as "graphic" and the crime as "horrendous" and "extremely serious". 

He said the teenagers were "vulnerable and isolated children" as a result of their "isolating condition". He said McCabe took advantage of this.

"He suffered a grievous lapse of judgement and used these boys as a source of sexual gratification," Judge Nolan added that McCabe's actions represented a "breach of trust to the boys, his colleagues and his order".

Judge Nolan imposed two consecutive terms of six years but suspended the final three years of the sentence having taking into account McCabe pleas of guilty, co-operation with gardaí and otherwise "blameless life".

The abuse first came to light in 2000 when one of the victims told his wife what had happened. She advised him to talk to his parents and the gardaí were later contacted.

This man had been abused once by McCabe around 1984. He went home the weekend he was molested with the intention of telling his parents but the brother's car was already in the driveway when he got there.

McCabe had told the boy's parents that the victim had misbehaved at school and the teenager's father did not believe him when he later told him that McCabe had abused him.

McCabe initially denied the allegation in relation to this man when he was questioned in February 2007 but later made full admissions.

He also accepted, during two further interview sessions in April and November that year, that he had abused the other two victims. Those two men had made statements of complaint to gardai earlier in 2007.

McCabe told gardaí he was ashamed and not proud of himself. He said he had been "unsure" of his sexuality at the time.

Victim impact statements were handed into court but not read out.