A 59-year-old RTÉ worker has been awarded €18,500 in damages after he was injured while working on The Saturday Night Show in 2010.

Arthur McMullen, from Roebuck Downs in Goatstown, Co Dublin, fell over a studio floor lamp and injured his left elbow.

Judge Jacqueline Linnane heard that the accident happened in February 2010 but Mr McMullan still suffered from pain in his elbow.

Mr McMullan said that on several occasions he had to free a drape which had become snagged up in a mirror ball and had fallen on his arm.

Judge Linnane said Mr McMullen had worked accident free in RTÉ for 38 years and said he had been working in poorly lit conditions in a cluttered studio at the time of his accident.

Seamus Breen, counsel for RTÉ, said the station denied liability.

"Mr McMullan was an experienced props assistant and had to look out for his own safety in such an environment."

Civil Engineers Paul Romeril, for Mr McMullen, and Stephen Mooney, for RTE, said they recently held a joint inspection during a "reconstruction" of what would have been the situation in the studio at the time.

They agreed that workers could be "distracted and more vulnerable" while working in studio situations but television studios inevitably had to have lights and cables lying around.