The owners of Lissadell House have instituted legal proceedings against Sligo County Council over rights of way on the estate.
Barristers Edward Walsh and Constance Cassidy launched a High Court action today against the Council to have it declared that there are no public rights of way on the estate that they bought just over five years ago.
The family closed down the estate, which has been attracting 40,000 visitors a year, last Sunday night following a Council motion to have its development plan amended to provide for rights of way.
However on Monday the Council passed a motion to seek an immediate meeting with the family in an attempt to have the issue resolved.
Since then however Mr Walsh says the family has made no communication from Sligo County Council.
He says that despite repeated requests they have not received the documents on which the Council rely.
In a statement the family says: ‘We view this matter with the utmost gravity. However it is very clear to us that the Council do not regard this matter as urgent. We do not agree. Accordingly in circumstances where the County Council do not appear to be complying with their own resolution, we have today instituted legal proceedings. The matter will now proceed to the High Court.’