skip to main content

Danish authorities investigate eight deaths at rock festi

The authorities in Denmark have begun an investigation into last night's accident at a rock festival in which eight members of the audience were crushed to death. Twenty-six others were treated in hospital. The four-day event, at Roskilde, 22 miles from Copenhagen, is continuing under tightened security. Police had earlier said that they believed nine people were killed.

The victims were forced against barriers in front of the stage while the American group Pearl Jam were playing. The players had repeatedly asked the audience to move back from the stage. The authorities have not yet named the victims. What started so well soon went badly wrong. The big screen magnified the unfolding tragedy and the band was as confused and distraught as everyone else. This morning, the scene was eerily quiet. The muddy ground, which may have contributed to the tragedy, was clearly visible. However, the Festival organisers rejected criticism that there were simply too many people.

Police are still working to identify the dead, it is believed that at least three were foreigners. The festival has two more days to run and it has been decided that it will go ahead. Last year, it drew some 100,000 people, making it one of the biggest rock events in Europe. In a statement, Pearl Jam called the disaster a "horrible nightmare" and said that they were devastated by the deaths. The band that played the Point in Dublin last month said that their lives would never be the same, but they know that is nothing compared to the grief of the families and friends of those involved. In Roskilde today, a single candle burns for the eight extinguished lives.

The full text of the statement on the Festival website - http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/2000/english/nyt/010700.shtml:

"Late on Friday night 8 people, all male, lost their lives during a concert on Roskilde Festival's main stage. Furthermore 1 person (male) is badly injured. According to the information so far, the accident is due to a number of people in the crowd in front of the stage lost their balance, and the accident occurred. All disposable rescue personnel were drawn to the front of the stage, and the injured people were immediately brought to Roskilde Hospital.

"Technical investigations are presently taking place. The festival is expected to continue after an evaluation of how the event can continue despite of the accident and with the deepest respect for the perished. Identification has not yet taken place. Anxious relatives of guests on Roskilde Festival can contact the nearest police office for information - as guests on the festival are encouraged to get in touch with relatives in order to inform of their being. On the festival site emergency relief is available. Everybody on the festival are deeply concerned with the accident and wish to express their sympathy with relatives." - Roskilde Festival, 30 June 2000

The full text of the statement by Pearl Jam:

"This is so painful... I think we are all waiting for someone to wake us and say it was just a horrible nightmare.. And there are absolutely no words to express our anguish in regard to the parents and loved ones of these precious lives that were lost. We have not yet been told what actually occurred, but it seemed to be random and sickeningly quick. It doesn't make sense. When you agree to play at a festival of this size and reputation, it is impossible to imagine such a heart-wrenching scenario. Our lives will never be the same, but we know that is nothing compared to the grief of the families and friends of those involved. It is so tragic... there are no words. Devastated," --Pearl Jam.