Makes 1 cake
- 200g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp raspberry jam
- 100ml double cream
- 2 vanilla pods
- Preheat your oven to 185c. Lightly brush your 2 circular cake tins with soft butter, brush the sides upwards to let the cake rise evenly.
- Place the butter and sugar in a mixer and beat with a whisk until light and creamy in colour. Add the eggs one by one until incorporated, followed by the flour. Mix until a light cake batter is achieved
- Split the cake mix exactly in half, pour into the two tins and tap lightly on a board, until the mix fills all the sides and is flat. Cook in the oven for 20-25mins until light golden brown and cooked throughout on the middle shelf. Use a skewer test if necessary.
- Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack, with the domed side underneath. Allow to cool to room temperature
- Spread a layer of raspberry jam onto one of the cakes. Add the double cream and scraped vanilla pods to a bowl and whisk until very thick, season with a touch of salt. Spread this layer on top of the jam then top with the second cake.
- Lightly dust the top of the cake with icing sugar and then it's ready to serve.