Tender pork and asparagus pair perfectly in these summery skewers.
For the pork and asparagus skewers:
- 500g pork shoulder (or pork fillet)
- 250g-500g asparagus spears
For the summer seasoning:
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Zest & juice of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp of sumac
- 1 tbsp dried mint
- Handful of coriander, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt & pepper
For the pork skewers:
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together.
- Separate into two bowls (one for meat, one for vegetables).
- Remove excess fat and cut the pork into even chunks.
- Toss in the marinade.
- Thread onto skewers and leave to marinade for 30 mins in the fridge.
- Sear the pork over a high heat for 5-6 mins each side or until cooked through. Use a meat thermometer if you are unsure.
For the asparagus:
- Snap off the woody ends.
- Cut spears in half and thread onto two skewers.
- Drizzle with oil and season with salt & pepper.
- Make sure the grill is really hot so you can hear the sizzle, this allows the asparagus to develop flavour and char rather than shrivelling up.
- Sear over high heat, turning regularly until crispy and charred.
- The asparagus is ready when you can pierce the middle with a fork and the stalk bends over like a tall tree in a storm when you pick it up. It should still have some bite.
- Pour the Summer Seasoning over the top and serve.
Tip: If you're using wooden skewers on the BBQ, soak in water to stop them from burning.