This savoury take on a pumpkin pie by Mags Roche is definitely one to try.
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 small pumpkin
- 2 shallots sliced finely
- 1 leek
- 8 mushrooms
- Smoked garlic or normal garlic
- 300ml cream
- 50g butter
- 50g Parmesan
- 100ml white wine
For the pickled celeriac:
- 1 celeriac sliced thinly
- 200ml white wine vinegar
- 200g honey
Boil honey, and deglaze with vinegar. Add sliced celariac.
- Line individual Tins with puff pastry. Rub with butter to prevent sticking.
- Line inside of pastry with cling film and fill with baking beans, or dry rice. Cut out a circle of puff pastry for pastry top. Egg wash.
- Bake at 200 for 12 mins. Take out of the oven. Set pastry top aside. Remove the baking beans and put pie bases back in the oven for a further 5 mins. Take out and leave aside until sauce is ready.
- For the pumpkin, peel the small pumpkin and dice. With the trim from the dice, keep for the sauce.
- Cook pumpkin dice for 3 mins in salted boiling water. Refresh. Caramelise in a pan and finish with a knob of butter.
- For the sauce, cook all the pumpkin trim, in a pan with some oil, a little butter and a little water until soft. Once cooked, blitz and make into a purée.
- Sweat off shallots, leeks and mushroom, add white wine and reduce by half. Add cream, smoked garlic clove. reduce slightly. Add pumpkin purée and pumpkin dice. Pinch of pepper and Check seasoning.
- Assemble pie into cooked base. And place pastry top on. Serve mix salad leaves, sliced pickle celeriac toasted hazelnuts.