Creamy mushrooms are the ideal midday snack, and can be made into a stunning dinner.
- 15-25g butter
- 75g onions, finely chopped
- Olive oil, for frying
- 225g mushrooms, sliced
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 110ml single cream
- 20-25g roux
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan until it foams. Add the onions, cover and sweat over a gentle heat for 5-10mins, until soft, not coloured.
- Meanwhile, cook the sliced mushrooms in olive oil, in a hot frying pan, for 4-5 minutes or until they are browning at the edges, in batches if necessary.
- Season with salt, pepper and a tiny squeeze of lemon juice. Add the mushrooms to the onions then add the cream and allow to bubble for a few minutes.
- Thicken with a little roux to a light coating consistency. Season to taste and add the chopped chives, if using.