Paul McDonald's steak sandwich (also doubles as a great BBQ sandwich).
Serves: 4 people
- Fast onion jam
- 30ml veg oil
- 2 brown onions (200g whole weight)
- 3heaped tablespoons castor sugar (60g)
- 6 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar (60g)
- Cheese Mayo mix
- 100g greater cheddar cheese
- 4spring onions (30g)
- 200g mayonnaise
- 4 x115g strip loin steak
- Rocket leaves a handful per person
- Ciabatta / focaccia/ brioche roll of your choice
For the onion jam
- Peel and slice the onions, add the oil and sliced onions to the pan and place on the heat, cook until starting to colour and the onion is wilted.
- Now add the sugar and let caramelised for about two minutes, now add the balsamic and cook until reduced to a nice syrupy jam like consistency.
Cheese Mayo mix
- In a bowl mix the grated cheese, salt, onions and the mayonnaise together until all incorporated.
Cooking the steaks
- Heat a pan or griddle to very very hot! Season the steaks to your liking with salt and pepper, place the steaks on the pan and cook to your liking (don't over crowd the pan or the pan temp will drop and you will boil the steak instead searing it).
- Allow the steaks to rest for a few minutes while you compile the sandwich
Compile the sandwich
- Take your chosen bread and slice if not already pre sliced, place cut side down into the pan or griddle whatever you were using ( no need to clean the pan after the steaks it's all flavour) allow the bread colour a little.
- Now add in about 2 big heaped tablespoons of the cheese mayo mix followed by 1 big heaped tablespoon of the onion mix, a few rocket leaves and finally your well rested steak.
- This is great served with some fries/oven wedges or your favourite salad.