Watch How to Cook Well with Rory O'Connell Mondays at 7.30pm on RTÉ One.
- 45g butter
- 150g peeled and chopped potatoes
- 110g peeled and chopped onion
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 900ml chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 200ml creamy milk, approx
- 150g chopped wild garlic leaves
- Garnish: wild garlic flowers (preferably allium ursinum)
- Melt the butter in heavy bottomed saucepan, when it foams, add the potatoes and onions and toss them until well coated. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover and sweat on a gentle heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the wild garlic leaves. When the vegetables are almost soft but not coloured add the stock and bring to the boil and simmer covered until the potatoes and onions are fully cooked.
- Add the wild garlic and simmer with the lid off for 4-5 minutes approx. until the wild garlic is cooked.
- Do not overcook or the soup will lose its fresh green colour. Puree the soup in a liquidiser or food processor. Add some creamy milk to achieve a lovely consistency. Taste and correct seasoning.
- Serve sprinkled with a few wild garlic flowers.