Mother and son salad with spiced cranberries.
- 4 handfuls mixed leaves
- C 100g gubbeen streaky bacon, cut into fine lardons
- C 100g de-rinded and diced ( ¾ cm )gubbeen cheese
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon Irish Cider Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- ¼ teaspoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Spiced Cranberries1 lb/ 450g cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 lb/450g sugar
- 8floz /250ml water
- 4 floz/125ml white wine vinegar
- ½ stick cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 4 cloves
- 2 in piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 red or green chilli, split and seeded
- Stick the whole cloves into the sliced ginger.
- Place the sugar, water and vinegar in a small, non reactive saucepan.
- Add all of the spices and chilli and bring slowly to the boil.
- Add the cranberries and simmer gently until the fruit becomes tender and bursts. This takes only about 8 minutes.
- Allow to cool and store in the fridge.