For those among you who don't possess a deep-fry, but long for chips, these potatoes are perfect.
The scrubbed potatoes are left unpeeled and cut into large wedge shaped chips, with each wedge having some of the skin attached. The skin on each piece of potato is important as it prevents them from sticking to the roasting tray and of course also has a delicious crispy flavour.
When buying potatoes, if possible buy them unwashed as the soil will keep in the flavour and nutrients. Serve the potatoes with roast and grilled meat, poultry or fish. They are a great accompaniment to a warm salad and you can ring the changes with the use of different herbs.
Either a floury or waxy potato will work here. So any of the following potatoes will be excellent such as Golden Wonder, Kerrs Pink, Charlotte, Sante or Nicola.
As the sea salt in this recipe is a last minute addition and will be visible on the cooked potatoes, it is the ideal opportunity to showcase a flakey sea salt in all of its mineral and crunchy glory.
- 900g potatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 tablespoons approx of olive oil, duck or goose fat
- Maldon Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sprig of rosemary or thyme
- Preheat the oven to 220c / 435f / gas7
- Scrub the potatoes well, there is no need to peel. Cut lengthways into thick chip like wedges or for a quicker cooking time cut into smaller pieces.
- Put into a bowl and drizzle on a little olive oil or your fat of choice. Turn in the fat to coat lightly. There should not be a pool of fat in the bottom of the bowl but the potatoes should be covered with a thin sheen of fat.
- Do not season the potatoes until they are cooked as it tends to cause the potatoes to stick to the cooking tray, hence you may lose the lovely crispy skins.
- Place on a roasting tray in a single layer, skin side down. Add the herb of choice and the unpeeled and uncrushed garlic cloves. Place in the preheated oven. Roast until the skins are crispy and the centers tender, about 35 minutes.
- Avoid the temptation to move them on the tray, half way through the cooking. This will only break up the potato skins. The potatoes will eventually crisp up and loosen from the bottom of the tray. Season with salt and pepper and serve in a hot serving dish.