This is a very superior recipe for stuffed eggs, each one has a fat prawn or a few shrimps hiding inside, they make a delicious starter but could also be served as part of a cold buffet. Be sure to tell people that there is shellfish inside in case anyone has a seafood allergy.
- 4 eggs (preferably free range)
- large pinch of salt
- 8 cooked prawns or 16 shrimps
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5fl oz (150ml/generous 1/2 cup) homemade Mayonnaise (see recipe)
- a few lettuce leaves
- Sprigs of watercress, a few whole shrimps or prawns
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil, add the salt and lower the eggs gradually into the water one by one.
- Bring the water back to the boil and cook for 10 minutes; pour off the water and cover the eggs with cold water. When cold, shell and cut in half lengthways.
- Sieve the yolks, reserve a little for the mimosa garnish, mix the remainder with 3-4 tablespoons of home made mayonnaise and taste for seasoning.
- Put 1 or 2 cooked shrimps or a fat prawn into each egg white and spoon some egg mayonnaise mixture into each one, round off the top to look like whole eggs.
- Then thin the remaining mayonnaise with cold water to coating consistency and coat the eggs carefully. Sprinkle with the reserved egg yolk.
- Serve on a bed of lettuces and garnish with sprigs of watercress and a few whole shrimps and prawns.