This may seem like an unusual combination, but believe me it works really well.
The cooked rhubarb should be perfectly tender and still holding its shape, in a syrup perfumed with the vanilla and citrus juice.
- 450g of red rhubarb stalks, cut at an angle into 5cm pieces
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 125ml Clementine or tangerine juice
Note: Bright red and firm rhubarb stalks are required here. Watch out for a lovely variety of rhubarb called Timperly red. Clementines have the most delicious juice and is best here, though any of the sweet oranges from the mandarin orange family such as satsumas or tangerines will do.
- Preheat oven to 200c / 400f / Gas Mark 6
- Place all of the ingredients in a baking dish they fit into snugly. Cover tightly with dampened parchment paper and seal well. Put in the preheated oven and cook for c 1 hour.
- The cooking time is dependent on the size and age of the rhubarb. I usually have a look at them after 45 minutes, and test the pieces with a skewer to see how tender they are, but generally I find it takes the full hour to cook.
- Serve the rhubarb warm or chilled. It is delicious served with a Rhubarb Fool in which case it should definitely be chilled or with Vanilla or Brown Bread Ice cream where it can be served warm or cold