Watch How to Cook Well with Rory O'Connell Mondays at 7.30pm on RTÉ One.
Makes 10 – 20 depending on size
- Homemade Sausages (see recipe below)
- 450g Puff Pastry
- Egg wash – 1 beaten egg
- 450g fatty pork, belly or shoulder, minced
- 1 tablespoon of chopped herbs, some or all of the following; parsley, thyme, sage, rosemary, marjoram, chives or savoury
- 1 -2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 egg
- 70g soft white breadcrumbs
Optional additions to the sausages
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, lightly toasted in a dry pan and coarsely ground
- Large pinch of dry chlli flakes
- Make the sausages and form into 2 long logs, c 3cm wide and 45cm long, Chill until ready to assemble.
- Divide the pastry into 2 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rectangle, 14cm wide x 45cm long. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Brush the chilled pastry with egg wash. Lay the sausage slightly right of the centre on the pastry. Fold over the pastry and press to seal. Cut along the joined pastry edge so it looks neat. Flake the edge with a knife or seal with the tines of an upturned fork. Brush the top of pastry with egg wash and prick the surface with a fork at 2cm intervals. Cover and chill. Repeat with the remainder.
- Preheat oven to 220c
- Before cooking cut crossways into 8's or 16's or your desired thickness depending on the occasion.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes depending on size. Serve with Bramley Apple Sauce.
- Mix the minced pork, beaten egg, crumbs and herbs together. Season with salt and pepper. Do not compact the meat with your hands when mixing.
- Fry a little of the mixture and taste to ensure that the seasoning is correct.