Watch Cook-In on Wednesdays at 8:30pm on RTÉ One.
- 4 medium sized beetroots, peeled
- 500g plain flour
- 250g salt
- 300ml water
- 100g walnuts
- 200g water
- 200g caster sugar
- 100g soft goats cheese
- Handful mustard leaf
- Handful rocket
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp blackcurrant cordial
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200c
- In a mixer, add the flour and salt, mix. Pour in your water until a pliable, playdough textured dough is formed.
- Roll this on a floured workbench, approx. 2cm thick. Wrap the dough around your peeled beetroot, making sure there are no gaps or air pockets.
- Cook in the oven for 40mins, remove and allow to sit for 10mins. Reserve the cooked beetroot, discard the cracked casing.
- Place the walnuts, sugar and water in a small pot, bring to the boil and continue cooking over a high heat until the sugar syrup coats the walnuts, strain the nuts and fry for 1 minute in the preheated oil.
- To make the dressing, place the oil, mustard, vinegar and blackcurrant cordial in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and whisk. Dress the beetroots in this and keep the excess.
- Build the salad using the beetroot, and chunks of the goats cheese, top with crunchy walnuts. Dress the rocket and mustard leaves in the dressing and stack on top.