This a really simple recipe which yields a delicious result. I serve this dish with simple boiled potatoes or a dish of piquant beetroot.
The dish can be assembled uncooked hours ahead, put in the fridge and cooked later. It is ideal for a party and is a great way to feed a lot of people easily and without too much stress!
This quantity of topping will coat 6 main course portions of fish
- Allow 175g of filleted and skinned fish per person
- 225 g mature Irish cheddar cheese ( or gruyere), coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons cream
- Arrange the fish in a single layer in an ovenproof dish. Mix the cheese, mustard and cream together. It will form a thick paste and may seem unlikely but keep the faith as it works beautifully.
- Spread the cheesy paste evenly over the fish. At this point the dish can be refrigerated until later.
- Cook in a preheated oven, 180c, for about 20 minutes until the fish is cooked and the top is golden and bubbly.
- Garnish and serve.