These tostadas are delicious combining the flavour of mackerel and chipotle, lightened with a vibrant, citrusy tomato salsa and finished with a slice of creamy avocado and a sprinkling of deep-fried shallots.
- 4 x 10cm corn tortillas
- 4 mackerel fillets
- Seasoned flour ( plain flour seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 4 tablespoons fresh tomato salsa (see recipe)
- 4 cos lettuce leaves, shredded
- For the deep-fried shallots (optional)
- 4 shallots, finely sliced
- 100ml (3 1/2fl oz/scant 1/2 cup) olive oil or vegetable oil for frying
- 4 tablespoons chipotle mayonnaise (see recipe)
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced
- Freshly squeezed lime juice (optional)
- Coriander leaves.
- To make the deep fried shallots, pour the olive oil into the frying-pan and heat until it is shimmering. Add the shallots and shallow fry them until they are crisp and golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper to absorb the oil (you can keep the oil and re-use it for frying the tortillas until crisp and golden.
- Dip the mackerel fillets in a little seasoned flour and shake off the excess. Paint the skin side of the mackerel with a little olive oil and place skin side down on a hot grill or sauté pan.
- Allow to cook for 4-5 minutes until the skin is well coloured and beginning to blister.
- Turn and cook for 1 minute on the other side. Remove from the pan and keep warm in an oven heated to 120c.
- Spread each tostada generously with chipotle mayonnaise and top with a little shredded lettuce. Spoon over the tomato salsa followed by a fillet of the cooked mackerel and top with a slice of avocado.
- Squeeze over a little lime juice and if you like sprinkle with deep-fried shallots and a few coriander leaves.