Rory O'Connell's sauté of spring lamb liver with Irish whiskey and tarragon.
- 25g butter
- Seasoned flour
- 8 slices of lamb liver, c ½ cm thick
- 1 fat clove of garlic crushed to a paste
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- 4 tablespoons rich chicken stock
- 8 tablespoons cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped tarragon
- Melt the butter in a heavy frying pan until it foams.
- Dip the slices of liver in the seasoned flour and shake off the excess and place in the pan.
- Cook on the first side until golden brown and turn over and repeat on the other side.
- Draw the pan off the heat and add the garlic and whiskey.
- Replace the pan on the heat and allow the whiskey to reduce to a syrupy consistency. The whiskey may flame when back on the heat, so take care.
- Add the stock, cream and tarragon and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until a light coating sauce consistency is achieved.
- Taste and correct seasoning and serve immediately.