- 2 tbsp oil
- 600g Stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 3-4 carrots, chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic
- ½ sprigrRosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 100ml red wine
- 450ml beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- 2 potatoes, thinly sliced
- Melted butter to glaze
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325F/Gas Mark 3.
- Heat half the oil in an ovenproof casserole dish and seal the beef in batches, for 4 – 5 minutes until brown all over, then using a slotted spoon remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil, onions, carrots, garlic, herbs and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree, then return the beef to the casserole dish, pour in the wine and stock. Season with some salt and freshly ground black pepper.Bring to the boil and simmer for 1.30 to 2 hours covered with a lid until the beef is tender.
- When the beef is cooked, remove from the oven and remove the lid. Add the thin slices of sweet potatoes and brush with melted butter and seasoning.
- Return to the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through and golden. Serve immediately with some greens.