Tune in to watch Donal Skehan on RTÉ One at 8:30pm on Wednesday 23rd December.
Takes 50 minutes
- 100g of muscovado sugar
- 150g of butter
- 1 large free range egg
- 350g of plain flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp of mixed spice
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 pack of foxes fruits or jolly ranchers
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ fan 160c and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a stand alone mixer beat together the butter and sugar. Add in the egg and beat through.
- Mix through the flour, baking powder, salt, mixed spice and vanilla extract until you have a biscuit dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out to about 1cm in thickness.
- Cut out biscuit shapes, place on the lined baking tray, then using a smaller cutter or a small knife cut out the center of each cookie, arranging these around the tray aswell.
- Crush the sweets using a rolling pin, they don't need to be very fine pieces and arrange them into the centre of the cookie. Place in the oven .
- Cook in the oven for about 15 minutes. As soon as they come out of the oven, using a straw or end of a piping nozzle, poke out a hole at the top of each cookie. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- String through some ribbon and hang on the tree.