Give your lamb dinners new life with a splash of salsa verde.
Prep/Cook Time: approx. 2hours
- 750 g boned Lamb Neck – cut into large dice
- 50 g plain flour – seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 small onions – sliced finely
- 4 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp all spice
- 25 g demerara sugar
- 35 g tomato puree
- 500 ml white wine
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 650 ml chicken stock – cube is fine
- 2 large sticks celery – washed and cut into chunks
- 2 large parsnips – peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots – peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp. salsa verde – if you can’t get this just use a nice basil pesto
- 1 tin of cooked flageolet or cannellini beans – drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 170oC
- Generously toss the lamb in the seasoned flour. Heat a large heavy-based casserole pot on a medium heat. Add ¾'s of the olive oil and heat. Shake the excess flour from the lamb and brown all over in the pot.
- Remove the lamb pieces when nice and brown and drain on kitchen paper until needed. You will need to do this in batches so as not to overcrowd the pot.
- You want a good deep colour on the lamb as this will enhance the flavour and richness of the finished dish. Drain the oil from the pot and clean with paper towel.
- Return the pot to the heat and add the remaining oil. When hot add the onions, garlic and bay leaf.
- Cook until golden and then add the carrots, celery, parsnips and dried herbs. Again cook until nicely coloured, making sure to stir continuously.
- Now return the lamb to the rest of the ingredients adding the allspice, sugar and tomato puree. Thoroughly mix this all together making sure to coat all the ingredients in the puree.
- Cook out the ingredients for 2 – 3 more minutes and then add the white wine and bring to the boil.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and stir. Then add the chicken stock and mix all ingredients. Once the stock comes to the boil, cover with a lid and place in the oven for 1 hour and 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add in the cooked, drained beans. Replace the lid for a couple of minutes. Finally, add the salsa verde/pesto.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. I would serve this just in the middle of the table with some nice crusty bread.