Every family have their own coddle recipe. Some like to add a ham bone or ham hock for flavour, others like to add milk to the cooking liquid. Browning the sausages is not the traditional way but I feel it gives a tastier result!
- 450g (12) sausages
- 6 streaky bacon rashers, chopped
- 3 potatoes, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, parsley)
- 800ml Vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- In a sauté pan, drizzle some oil and add the sausages. Cook for 3-4 minutes until coloured all around.
- In a saucepan, add the vegetables, herbs, bacon and coloured sausages and cover with the vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to a medium/low heat. Simmer for 45-60 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the sausages are fully cooked through.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Serves piping hot with some Irish brown bread.