Watch Donal's Family Food in Minutes on RTÉ One, Wednesdays at 8.30pm.
Takes 20 minute
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 4 x 250g sirloin or rump steak
- 4tbsp soy sauce
- 2tsp soft brown sugar
- 2tsp rice vinegar
- 2 green finger chilli, finely sliced with seeds
- 2 corn on the cob
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 2 large carrot, thinly shredded
- Small handful coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat until smoking. Rub the steaks with a teaspoon of oil and season well. Sear for 2-3 minutes on each side until charred but still lovely and pink inside.
- Whisk the soy with the sugar, vinegar, chilli and one teaspoon of sesame oil in a small bowl. Whisk to combine and place half in a wide dish, large enough to hold the steaks.
- Transfer the steaks to the marinade (leaving the pan on the heat) and allow to sit for 5 minutes, turning once or twice to coat all over.
- Whilst they rest, return the pan back to a high heat. Toss the sweetcorn and spring onions in the remaining teaspoon of the oil and sear on the griddle pan for 4-5 minutes until charred on all sides. Tip into a bowl and toss with the carrot.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade, slice, return to the dish and toss to coat in the dressing once more.
- Toss the remaining dressing over the salad. Serve the salad on a plate with some steak, coriander leaves and sprinkle of sesame seeds.