Watch Donal's Family Food in Minutes on RTÉ One, Wednesdays at 8.30pm.
Cook time: 35 minutes
For the roast cauliflower:
- 1 large head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the curry sauce:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 x 400ml can coconut milk
- 750ml/25fl oz vegetable stock
- 150g/60z baby spinach
For the saffron rice:
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250g/10oz basmati rice
- Pinch saffron fronds
- Pickled red onions
- Small handful coriander leaves
- Preheat oven to 200c/fan 180c. Toss the cauliflower with the oil and curry powder on a roasting tray. Arrange in a single layer and roast for 30 minutes until golden and crisp.
- While the cauliflower is roasting heat the oil in a large sauté pan over a low heat. Add the onion and allow to sweat down in the pan until they become soft. Stir through the spices until aromatic followed by the garlic, ginger and chilli.
- Next pour in the coconut milk and stock, bring to the boil. Reduce to the heat and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Season to taste.
- Stir through the spinach followed by the roast cauliflower, allowing the spinach to wilt.
- For the saffron rice, place a medium sized saucepan over a low-medium heat, add the oil and onion, sauté for 3-4 minutes until softened a little, adding salt to help soften. Stir the rice through the onion to coat in the oil.
- Pour 500ml boiling water into this along with the saffron Bring to a steady simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the liquid is completely absorbed. Remove from the heat, when ready to serve, fluff up with a fork.
- To serve scoop the rice into a wide bowl, spoon in the curry and top with the pickled red onions and coriander.