Tune into Cook-In with Mark Moriarty on Wednesdays on RTÉ One at 8:30pm.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small rind parmesan
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 1 litre chicken/vegetable stock
- 60-70ml cream
- Lemon juice
- Good olive oil
- 100g grated parmesan (or you can experiment using your favourite Irish cheese)
- 30g (1 large egg) white
- To make the crisps, finely grate 100g parmesan into a bowl. Add an egg white to this and mix as smooth as possible with a wooden spoon & form into a ball with your hands
- Lightly grease two sheets of baking parchment, place your mix on one and cover with the other. Use a rolling pin to roll thinly
- Place between two baking trays and bake in a preheated oven at 150c for 18mins until golden brown
- To make the soup, begin by adding a small knob of butter to a pot, add the onion, garlic and parmesan rind and cook gently for 3 mins, don't add colour.
- To prepare the cauliflower, take all the exterior white head off the stalk and roughly chop. Add this to the pot. Stir to coat in the butter and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add just enough stock to barely cover the mix and bring to the boil (Can always adjust consistency afterwards) - simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once the cauliflower is soft, add the cream and season with salt, remove the parmesan rind and transfer to a blender to blend to smooth consistency, you can use a hand blender, adjust seasoning with some lemon juice & sea salt
- Add the soup to bowls and finish with some grated parmesan, olive oil, and the caramelised parmesan crisps