Tune into Cook-In with Mark Moriarty on Wednesdays on RTÉ One at 8:30pm.
- 200g hake, skinned and boned
- 200g cod, skinned and boned
- 200g smoked haddock, skinned and boned
- 200g Salmon, skinned and boned
- 1 leek, sliced
- 200g frozen peas
- 60g butter
- 60g plain flour
- 800ml milk
- 2 heaped tsp, Dijon mustard
- 1 fish stock cube
- 300ml leftover white wine
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon zest & juice
For the mash topping:
- 6 medium rooster potatoes
- 200ml warm milk
- 2 free range Irish egg yolks
- Place the potatoes on a tray, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake at 200c for 50mins until soft throughout.
- Remove the potatoes, slice in half, and placer the pulp through a ricer, otherwise, use a masher by hand
- Place the pulp on the heat and mix in the 200ml warm milk, season with salt and finish with the 2 egg yolks. Reserve for the top of the pie.
- In preparation for the fish, lay the whole pieces (excluding the smoked fish) on a plate with some paper cloth under. Season with some sea salt and leave to sit in the fridge for 30 mins to firm up
- Remove any excess salt and portion the fish into thumb-size chunks, lay into the pie dish.
- Slice the leek nice and thinly, and sprinkle over the fish.
- Pour the frozen peas into the pie dish next.
- To make the sauce, start by adding the onion and garlic and white wine to a pot and reduce until a glaze, now crumble the fish stock cube in and mix.
- In a separate pot, add the 60g butter and allow it to turn brown. Now add the flour and cook for 1 minute over high heat. Warm the milk gently in a microwave or on the heat, and add it in two stages to the flour and butter, stirring with a whisk, bring to a boil and take off the heat. This will create a basic sauce.
- Season the sauce with your wine/fish stock mix, then finish with mustard, lemon zest and juice.
- Pour the sauce over the pie mix, top with the mashed potato, and bake at 200c for 30mins until the top is golden brown.