Tune into Cook-In with Mark Moriarty on Wednesdays on RTÉ One at 8:30pm.
- 400g fusilli pasta
- 200g diced stewing steak
- 200g Irish beef mince
- 100g Irish bacon
- 300ml red wine
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 rich beef stock cubes
- 20ml soy sauce
- 50ml water, with 3 heaped tsp cornflour
- 250g tomato pasta sauce
- 1 x 250g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 level tbsp dried chilli flakes (or less if you don't like the heat)
- Parmesan cheese, grated (or experiment with your favourite Irish farmhouse hard cheese)
- Chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- In a large heavy-based saucepan, brown off the diced beef, minced beef and pancetta or bacon.
- Add the onion, garlic, chilli flakes and cook for a further minute
- Add the wine, reduce by half
- Add the water and cornflour mix, stockpots, soy sauce, tomato sauce and tomatoes and bring to the boil
- Place a lid on the pot and cook in the preheated oven for 1 hour until the meat is tender
- Remove the pot from the oven, add the dried pasta, and place back in the oven for a further 20mins until the pasta is soft.
- Serve the ragu in the pot, and finish with grated parmesan and parsley