This recipe came from JP's great-aunt, Kay.
- 1 lb 2 oz prepared fruit (about 4 cups) such as apple, rhubarb, plums or blackberries
- ½ cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 5 oz self-raising flour (1¼ cups all-purpose flour mixed with 1¾ teaspoons baking powder)
- 5½ tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 FH
- Coat the fruit with half the sugar and place in an ovenproof dish.
- To make the crumble (crumb topping), rub the flour and butter together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Fold in the rest of the sugar.
- Cover the fruit with the crumble and bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes until golden brown.