Consider using this mixture as the base for a seafood pasta or vol-au-vent or even for a fisherman's pie topping with a savoury crumble topping, pastry or mashed potato.
- 25g butter
- 1 leek-thinly sliced
- 1 carrot-diced finely
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 1 potato, diced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 400ml water / fish stock
- 100ml glass white wine
- 200ml pouring cream
- 400g selection of fish & shellfish
- 2 tbsp of fresh parsley to serve
- 1 loaf of brown bread to serve
- Salt and pepper
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter and add the carrots, onion, leek, celery, potato, garlic and thyme. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until they are glazed but without colour.
- Next, add in the fish and shellfish. Without siring cook a further 1 minute.
- Add in white wine, warm water or fish stock and cream and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and allow the vegetables and fish to simmer for a further 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through and the shellfish like mussels are fully cooked and opened.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of herbs and some fresh bread.