Saturday's dinner recipe from Operation Transformation's vegetarian meal plan.
- ½ small red onion
- 2 red peppers
- 1 garlic clove
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 60g Cheddar cheese
- 200g tin kidney beans (or use ½ 400g tin – you need 120g)
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil (15g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 wholemeal wraps
- 10g baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons shop-bought salsa
- 1 teaspoon natural yoghurt (3% fat – 5g)
- salt (optional) and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F / gas mark 6. Peel and thinly slice the red onion. Cut the peppers in half, then remove the seeds and core and thinly slice the flesh. Peel and crush the garlic. Dice the cherry tomatoes and grate the cheese. Drain the kidney beans into a sieve in the sink and rinse under cold running water. Drain well.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium to medium to high heat. Add the oil and swirl up the sides. Tip in the onion and peppers and sauté for about 5 minutes until tender and just beginning to pick up a bit of colour.
- Stir the garlic and cumin into the onion and pepper mixture and cook for another minute, stirring.
- Place the wraps on a baking sheet and divide the vegetable mixture between them. Spoon over the kidney beans and cherry tomatoes. Season lightly with a little salt (optional) and pepper, then sprinkle the cheese on top. Place in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese is beginning to melt and the bottom of the wraps are crisped up.
- Transfer the quesadillas to plates and top each one with a small pile of the spinach leaves and put a tablespoon of the salsa on top with half a teaspoon of yoghurt. Season with pepper to serve.
Make up the onion and pepper mix up to 3 days in advance and store in a suitable container in the fridge so you have everything ready to assemble ready to go.