Thursday's dinner recipe from Operation Transformation's vegetarian meal plan.
- 80g whole grain brown rice
- 1 onion
- 1 red chilli (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 butternut squash
- 200g green beans
- 150g firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons rapeseed oil (10g)
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste (from a jar – 15g)
- 160g tin coconut milk
- 200ml vegetable stock (made from ½ a reduced salt cube)
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce (15g)
- 1 lime
- freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the rice well in a sieve and then put into a small saucepan with 250ml of water.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for 25 minutes without lifting off the lid, then turn off the heat and leave to sit for another 10 minutes for perfectly cooked rice (or simply cook according to packet instructions). This rice can sit happily for up to 30 minutes with the lid on.
- Cut the onion in half and peel, then cut into slices. Cut the chilli in half (if using) and remove the seeds with a teaspoon, then finely chop.
- Peel the garlic and crush to a paste. Peel the butternut squash and cut it in half, then scoop out all of the seeds with a spoon and discard. Chop the remaining flesh into small chunks. Trim the green beans before cutting them in half. Dry the tofu out well with kitchen paper and then cut into small chunks.
- Heat a wok or large saucepan with a lid over a medium heat and then add the oil. Tip in the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon until softened and just beginning to colour around the edges. Add the chilli (optional) with the garlic and cook for another minute, stirring.
- Stir the curry paste into the onion mixture and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the coconut milk, stock, soy sauce and butternut squash. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir the green beans and tofu into the butternut squash mixture and cover with a lid. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 6-8 minutes or until all the vegetables are completely tender and the tofu is piping hot.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze in the juice and then season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and divide between bowls then ladle over the tofu and butternut squash curry to serve.
This can be made in advance and put into 2 separate airtight containers in the fridge within 2 hours of cooking for up to 3 days. Only reheat once in the microwave or separately in saucepans over a gentle heat when ready to eat.