This granita is simple and refreshing.
- 16 fl oz / 450ml Blood orange juice
- 5 oz / 150g Caster sugar
- Mix the strained juice and sugar well and place in a covered container in the freezer.
- Once the mixture is half frozen, remove and break up the crystals with a fork.
- Gently smooth the top down and freeze again.
- Repeat the process three or four times.
- Cover and store in freezer until ready to serve.
Blood Oranges are in season for the months of December, January and February and I like to use them as much as possible then.
This granita is simple and refreshing. The blood orange can be replaced with bright oranges at any time of the year and indeed with grapefruit, either marsh or ruby.
The granita can be served as a refreshing and light starter or as a dessert.