These can be served up at your next Christmas party along with smoked salmon, sour cream and scallions etc.
Makes: approx. 3 dozen small blini
- 450g potatoes
- 2 tablespoons self-raising flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons creme fraiche, at room temperature
- 2 corn-fed free-range eggs
- 1 large yolk
- Coarse salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons of pecorino or parmesan cheese
Serving suggestions (optional):
- Smoked Salmon
- Beetroots, radishes, courgettes, thinly sliced
- Fresh herbs or micro herbs, for serving
- Creme fraiche or sour cream mixed with scallions or chives
- Horseradish cream
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and add enough cold water to cover by at least 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to simmer until potatoes are tender and easily pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Drain and peel warm potatoes; press through a very fine mesh sieve. Immediately weigh out 250g pureed potatoes and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Working quickly, whisk in flour and 2 tablespoons creme fraiche. Add 1 egg, whisking until batter is smooth. Add second egg, whisking until smooth.
- Finally, add the egg yolk & pecorino; whisk until batter is smooth and well combined.
- Hold the whisk with some of the batter over the bowl. The batter should fall in a thick stream but hold its shape when it hits the batter in the bowl. If it is too thick, add a little more creme fraiche. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Heat a large non-stick crepe pan over medium-low heat. Working in batches and wiping griddle with a paper towel with a tiny amount of oil between each batch.
- Spoon 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons batter onto a heated pan for each pancake. Cook until bottoms are lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn and cook on the opposite side until evenly browned with a small ring of white around the edges, about 1 minute. Transfer to a small baking sheet and keep warm.
- Serve immediately with toppings as desired. These blinis are so versatile and will go great with any combination of flavours.