When we were children the cutting of the Halloween brack was ceremonial, we couldn't contain ourselves with excitement to see who would get the ring followed by the money, we were indifferent about the pea but slightly horrified to get the stick or the rag!
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 350g Fruit Mix
- 300ml Cold Tea
- 125g Brown sugar
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Teaspoon of mixed spice
- Honey (for decoration)
- Soak the fruit in the tea bowl overnight.
- Add sugar, egg, flour and mixed spice and mix well.
- Wrap ring and any other charms in greaseproof paper and stir into mixture.
- Transfer to a lined 900g/2lb loaf tin. Bake in a preheated oven 170°C/325°F/Gas 3 for approx one hour or until risen and firm to the touch. Cool on a wire tray.
- Melted honey may be brushed over brack before cutting.