A deliciously dark treat for Halloween.
- 8 small apples
- 450g caster sugar
- 160g glucose syrup
- 180ml water
- 3 drop food colouring (black)
- White marshmallows
- 8 White plastic lollipop sticks
- Wash apples and dry. Push a lollipop stick into the apples.
- Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Place water, sugar and glucose syrup into a heavy-based saucepan and bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Place food/candy thermometer in the pan and boil until temperature reaches hard crack (150C).
- If you don't have a thermometer, all you'll need is a bowl of very cold/ ice water instead. While the candy is cooking, periodically drop a small spoonful of the candy into the bowl of cold water. The syrup should form brittle threads and easily cracks and snaps.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in food colouring.
- Dip apples into the syrup one at a time, tip pan to completely coat apple.
- Place on baking sheets to set at room temperature.
CAUTION: Please be very careful when working with hot sugar.
- Place marshmallows in a microwaveable bowl. heat for 30 seconds
- Stir marshmallows till they are cool enough to work with.
- Take a small piece of marshmallow and stretch it till you get nice thin strands. Wrap strands around candied apples, repeat till you have required effect.